Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Fwd: RE: Outcome of World Summit on the Information Society Meeting in Geneva, Sw...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:39:41 -0500

From: Martin Kuplens-Ewart <martin () takingitglobal org>

Dave,

'Tis curious that no commentator has so far mentioned that, apparently for
the first time in a UN summit process,  youth are recognised as key
stakeholders, mobilisers, and creators, in and of ICTs, particularly ICT4D
[ICTs for development].

"11. We are committed to realizing our common vision of the Information
Society for ourselves
and for future generations. We recognize that young people are the future
workforce and leading
creators and earliest adopters of ICTs. They must therefore be empowered as
learners, developers,
contributors, entrepreneurs and decision-makers. We must focus especially on
young people who
have not yet been able to benefit fully from the opportunities provided by
ICTs. We are also
committed to ensuring that the development of ICT applications and operation
of services respects
the rights of children as well as their protection and well-being."

While ICANN & co. continue to worry about what will happen with them, I
think it's important to note that the hard work of the WSIS Youth Caucus
managed to squeeze this from the WSIS process and plenary.

Cheers,

Martin Kuplens-Ewart
the thoughtguy co.