Interesting People mailing list archives

more on BBC article on spam "solution" of hashcash, from Microsoft

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 19:13:01 -0500

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:13:16 -0600
From: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: [IP] more on BBC article on spam "solution" of hashcash, from Microsoft
To: dave () farber net

I *strongly* object to this "metered service" bullshit trying to impose itself
onto the Internet.

Those of us with some experience have seen this crap far too often.

For example, for decades telephone directory assistance used to be "free".

Then the phone companies said there was too much abuse (people just not picking
up their directory and calling 411 instead) so they limited each subscriber to
no more than 10 "free" calls per month (more, they said, than most legitimate
users would ever really need) but eventually that number came down and down, to the point where now most people get NO free directory assistance calls at all.
:-(

And when did you last see a telephone directory next to a pay phone?

If phone companies were SERIOUS about their charging being "to stop abuse", then
they could have simply set it up instead that "directory assistance calls
without limitation are free to numbers not in your present directory, or from
pay phones.  Directory assistance calls where the number supplied IS in your
present directory will be billed at the (admittedly punitive) rate of $3.25
each."

Presumably one wouldn't expect cellular phone users to carry a directory with
them, so they'd probably need some other scheme (such as "we give you twenty
directory assistance calls per month free", say.)

It's not only just doing all the bookkeeping and accounting for these E-mail
charges. It also means making sure that you're not charged (or credited) twice for the same message (sometimes now I do receive duplicates of a single message,
which is no biggie).  It also means a challenge procedure, and that means
customer service folks to answer the phone calls and answer the questions and
issue credits/refunds/adjustments as needed. All of this costs money, and that
money is ultimately paid by the people as part of their Internet service
charges.  (And those should be REDUCED, NOT INCREASED.)

Back when 800-service (WATS) was proposed, AT&T pointed out that something like 85-90% of the cost of a long distance phone call was the cost of billing you for
it.  The principle of OUTWATS lines was simply disconnecting all the "measured
service" crap and passing the savings on to the consumer.

In the case of these "micropayments", the same thing is doubtless true (in fact,
probably WORSE since the number of nearly-meaningless "micropayments" involved
would be scandalously high compared to the trivial amounts of money involved).

Already, spammers are using worms/viruses to hijack computers to send their spam
for them.  The use of these "micropayments" schemes only means that such
hijacking will cost REAL MONEY to those whose computers have been violated, and (again) REAL MONEY to the victims' ISPs who will have to adjust/credit accounts
accordingly.  It won't be the spammers paying this money any more than it's
spammers paying the costs of their bullshit right now.

Meanwhile, "hashcash" and other payments schemes are being proposed for one and
only one reason, and that's because (like credit cards) they allow those
companies involved to build their own huge profits into the overall "cost of
living". It's not the first time that a company has tried to earn huge profits
on the basis of their "controlling access" to portions of the Internet.

:-((

Also, it's especially crazy that the terribly broken European VAT system is held up as some kind of shining model... there's an example of where people all have
to report the same single transaction to the government in excruciating
detail... where instead of ONE transaction being reported (like sales tax here
in the USA) there are multiple reports and taxes and refunds (and reporting
costs) all the way along the chain of flow of goods and services.  :-(((  Very
cumbersome, very much administratively inefficient.

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->