Interesting People mailing list archives

Dubya taps Leavitt to head EPA

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:42:34 -0400

I have had the opportunity to meet nd extensively talk with Gov Leavitt who is an active member of the Markle Foundation National Security Taskforce tht I am also on. He is a real good person, and a user of and under stander of technology. He is wonderful to work with and I expect will be a good EPA head who will try at least.

Dave

.
Dubya taps Leavitt to head EPA
By JOHN HEILPRIN
Aug 12, 2003, 05:44

In his term, President Bush chose for his environment chief a GOP governor who has cultivated an image as a moderate on environmental issues.

By picking Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt to succeed Christie Whitman as head of the Environmental Protection Agency, Bush is tapping someone who might strengthen the president's standing with green-minded voters.

But some environmentalists say there is a difference between Leavitt and Whitman, who left the New Jersey governorship in 2001 to run the EPA.

Whitman resigned in May; Bush announced his nomination of Leavitt on Monday.

"Like Christie Whitman, Governor Leavitt started out with a reputation as a moderate, but unlike her, he has taken a hard right turn on the environment," said Philip Clapp, president of the National Environmental Trust, an advocacy group.

Larry Young, executive director of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, said Leavitt's record on public lands, wetlands conservation and sprawl issues was unimpressive.

"It's an appointment that fits right in line with the Bush administration record. You're not going to see any dramatic improvement. It's business as usual," Young said.

Promising to improve the nation's air quality, Leavitt said he would listen to all sides.

"There is no progress polarizing at the extremes but great progress when we collaborate in the middle," Leavitt said. "I'll leave it a better place than I found it. ... I'll give it my all."

Bush said Leavitt, a former chairman of the National Governors Association, has "a strong environmental record, a strong desire to improve what has taken place in the last three decades," and also "understands the importance of clear standards in environmental policy."

Leavitt would take office, if he wins confirmation from the Senate, at a time when Democrats have a 2-1 advantage over Bush among people asked who they trust to do a better job on the environment, according to a recent poll.

Bush's choice to succeed Whitman was met with immediate praise from industry groups and congressional Republicans, while environmental groups and Senate Democrats were opposed or at least skeptical.

Leavitt won't face confirmation until after the Senate returns from its summer break in September.

Whitman earned the respect of environmentalists during her tenure as New Jersey governor, and her appointment in 2001 was seen as a sign of Bush's own moderation on the environment.

Instead, her resignation - after 2 1/2 years marked by confrontations with the White House and other administration officials who saw energy development as a bigger priority - has been used by Bush's opponents to depict him as environment-unfriendly.

One thing Leavitt shares with Whitman is her fondness for giving states a bigger role in environmental regulation.

"He respects the ability of state and local government to meet those standards, he rejects the old ways of command and control from above," Bush said in Denver after spending a day promoting his plan for thinning forests to prevent wildfires. Bush has scheduled three more trips with environmental themes this month in Oregon, California and Washington state.

The Utah governor said he shares Bush's enthusiasm for technological approaches for improving the environment, but recognizes with environmental matters there is often "an economic imperative that we're dealing with in the global economy and that's to do it less expensively."

Leavitt, 52, would leave Utah a year before his third four-year term ends. He is fond of speaking about his ideas for increasing environmental cooperation among federal, state and local officials. The environmental issues he has focused on have mostly concerned public lands.

Leavitt co-chaired the Western Regional Air Partnership of states, tribes, environmentalists and industry to reduce brown haze over the Grand Canyon, and he fought plans to build a temporary storage facility for high-level nuclear waste on an Indian reservation in western Utah.

He cut several environmental deals with the Bush administration, most recently settling a long-standing dispute over ownership of roads across federal land. He negotiated exchanges of state and federal land, some of them questioned by Interior Department auditors.

He advocated a major highway extension through wetlands and wildlife habitat near the Great Salt Lake, only to have the 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals halt the project when it said the Army Corps of Engineers didn't pay enough attention to wildlife needs or look at alternatives like mass transit.

---