Interesting People mailing list archives

More on the SoBig arrest

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:35:53 -0400

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:25:41 -0500
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Subject: More on the SoBig arrest
To: dave () farber net

As I noted in my previous post, these people are hard to catch. Generally, it requires someone being careless or bragging about it to identify them. It appears that Mr. Parson was careless, bragged on-line about what he had done, and was actually quite dumb about what he did -- he had material in the code that pointed directly to his own domain and WWW site!

It is important to note that he is not alleged to have written the original Blaster code. Instead, he captured a copy and put in some of his own modifications (including references to his own site). We can speculate as to why he did this....I think it not unreasonable to speculate that he didn't realize that what he was doing was as wrong as it was.

There is a real question about appropriate punishment. He didn't write the original exploit, nor did he cause the majority of the damage. Yes, he is guilty of "piling on" but any big penalty may simply be punishing him for being clueless rather than for being destructive, and it isn't clear that that is an appropriate reason for an increased sentence.

The authorities have hinted that they have leads on the original author. Let us hope that is the case. If they identify and catch that author (or authors) then that is the time when we think about hard labor, tar, and feathers. :-)

In my previous note, I mentioned an essay on punishment of virus authors that I couldn't find. Well, I found it -- http://www.rbs2.com/cvirus.htm.

Cheers,
--spaf