Interesting People mailing list archives

What message are we sending?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:41:34 -0400

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:27:14 -0500
From: Scott Davis <sdavis () sdf lonestar org>
Subject: What message are we sending?
To: dave () farber net

* Please remove my ID and email address if you post.  Thanks!

Dave,

I cannot express the joy I felt this morning upon hearing that the feds
were poised to swoop down on the accused (and admitted) facilitator of
the Blaster worm.  My thoughts quickly jumped to those of finding the
cretin who wrote SoBig.  For the first time in eight days, something
positive is happening for me.

I am a manager for a very large ISP and communications company that
everyone on this list has heard of.  For the past 8 days alone, our
little office has spent well over a million dollars in money and
resources, paying for staff to assist our customers, work with vendors
on resolutions for excessive network traffic, and carry on other
unscheduled business activities that would not have been taking place
otherwise.

My serotonin rush became a slow morphine drip later in the day when I
became aware that the accused (and admitted) writer of this worm was
sent home to live under house arrest for a while.

>From CNN:

"With this arrest, we want to deliver a message to cyber-hackers here
and around the world," said U.S. Attorney John McKay in Seattle. "Let
there be no mistake about it, cyber-hacking is a crime. ... We will
investigate, arrest and prosecute cyber-hackers."

What message are we sending, Dave? Am I far off base here to assume that
someone who has admitted to doing what he is accused of, causing untold
millions of dollars to be spent on <whatever>, and causing a major
network event, which ultimately is affecting the global infrastructure
of the network, that you can just go home and wait until the feds call
you and tell you to come to trial? (yes...as long as you don't use the
Internet while under house arrest).

This social outcast admitted to facilitating a major network event which
has costs untold dollars and had an impact on the critical
infrastructure of this country...and they let him go home.  I had to
pick my jaw up off the floor.

I understand the US Constitution and the laws we live by that state you
are innocent until proven guilty.  But pardon my conservatism when I say
that if they had enough evidence and probable cause to arrest Jeff
Parson for this crime, they had enough evidence and probable cause to
put him in solitary confinement (read: Kevin Mitnick) until trial. While
I think Kevin's incarceration was excessive in nature, whats good for
the goose is good for the gander.  At an absolute minimum, why isn't the
accused in a cell SOMEWHERE?

I wonder if this worm author was from the middle east or had a Muslim
name if he'd be under house arrest or in a 3'x5' air pocket UNDER the
jail.  I suspect the latter.

Just some thoughts from the cynical side...

Thanks