Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Dell's Software License Policy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:17:54 -0400

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:40:12 -0400
From: Marc Aniballi <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Dell's Software License Policy
To: dave () farber net

I just ordered a PC from Dell France for a friend and was shocked to
find the following information required by the purchasing engine. The
blatant naïveté of the questions gives one pause ­ Does anyone really
expect an honest answer from a terrorist or terrorist
supplier/middleman?! Will the US government really try to hold Dell
liable for the part their computers might play in terrorism?!! If that
is the case, I guess we will be seeing similar queries from Motorola,
Northern Telecom, Cisco, etc!

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

(Translation of pertinent section from Dell France’s site)

Dell is an American company and subject to American Export Law. Please
answer the following questions to help us comply with American Export
Regulations:

1.       Who will be the primary user of the products purchased with
this order?
Name
Address
City
Postal Code
Country

2.       To which use will these products be put?
Personal
Business
Government (Civil)
Government (Military)

3.       Do you plan to export these products?
Yes/No
If Yes, to which country?

4.       Will these products be used for projects to create weapons of
mass destruction? That is to say: Nuclear Applications, Missile
Technologies, Chemical or Biological weapons?
Yes/No

Regards,

Marc Aniballi