Interesting People mailing list archives

A review of Defcon hacker convention, from maelstrom

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:28:12 -0400

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:54:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[I enjoyed Defcon this year and am not as critical of it as maelstrom is.
--Declan]

---

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:41:57 -0400
From: deleted
To: declan () well com
Subject: An old fart's view of Defcon

Declan,
attached is my view of Defcon... it's not a pretty one. It has really
changed for the worse in recent years.

If you publish this or quote from it, please use my alias: maelstrom
(maelstrom () pobox com). A lot of people would be really embarrassed if you
use my real name as the source!

Regards,
deleted

The Hackers Have Gotten Boring
By maelstrom

It’s August in Las Vegas and the weather is acting decidedly strange ­
there’s a strong cool breeze, the skies are overcast, and it’s been
spitting rain all day. It’s the 11th annual Defcon Hacker Conference at
the Alexis Park Resort, and I’m amazed to see that the hackers are
actually queuing up and standing in orderly lines to get into the
registration area and the conference rooms. The Goths, the punks, the
longhairs, and the hacker babes in scanty clothing are all here, but
something is terribly wrong. The hackers have gotten predictable and
<gasp> even boring.

I am one of the ancients of Defcon ­ I’ve been attending these conventions
for eight years now. I’ve been coming to Defcon for a chance to meet
people I’ve met via email, connect with friends, and to absorb the latest
information on computer vulnerabilities. Of course the games and the
parties were always fun, too: Spot the Fed, Hack the Flag, and Hacker
Jeopardy. I’ve been grateful for the opportunity to learn, share, and
engage in intellectually challenging conversations. But much of that has
melted like sugar in the rain. The only thing good about Defcon this year
are the t-shirts.
The first Defcon I attended was a small, intimate gathering of about 500
people. This year the rough count appears to be in the neighborhood of
7500. Where my first “Con” had an atmosphere of a grass roots organization
and people were anxious to share their knowledge and form bonds of
friendship, Defcon 11 is full of vacuous hangers-on and tired clichés of
green hair, improbable body piercings, black clothing, and lots of chains.
I had a difficult time even finding a hacker who was willing to share some
of his skill with the son of a friend of mine. My request for assistance
was met by jeers and snubs. This was not the attitude I expected from
comrades.

And where are the famous hackers who helped create Defcon? They scuttle
through the hotel using side doors and the protection of their bodyguard
“goons” to avoid coming in contact with the scores of fans. You can’t talk
to them. They won’t even acknowledge you in a crowd if you are not one of
their “elite” members. They have taken on large egos normally associated
with histrionic movie stars and I’m not even certain they still engage in
hacking. They have become celebrities ­ roll out the red carpet but no
pictures, please. But, bring out the boom mikes and TV cameras and they
magically reappear.

The lectures and training sessions are recycled versions of the same old
stuff. I haven’t heard a truly new idea at Defcon for about three years
now. I kept coming in the hope that it would get better, but the material
is too entry-level and mainstream to be of any interest to us old farts.
Apparently the plethora of automatic,
“you-don’t-have-to-know-what-you’re-doing” type of hacker tools has
stifled the creativity of hackers to find new and interesting methods of
cracking network systems. Instead of challenging conversations, all I hear
is advice on how to chuck twelve beers and not barf.

I won’t stand in another line. I refuse to pay $5 for a bottle of water. I
have no respect for the posers and even less for the celebrity hackers who
snub young boys who want to learn at the hands of the masters. Maybe I’ll
start my own hacker conference and tell everyone to leave their egos and
automated hacking tools at the door.