Interesting People mailing list archives

Taped at the BBC: Can the Beeb put its entire archive on the Web?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:46:55 -0400

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:49:09 +0900
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Subject: Taped at the BBC: Can the Beeb put its entire archive on the Web?
To: dave () farber net

Interesting stuff.  For IP?

Adam

Taped at the BBC
Can the Beeb put its entire archive on the Web?
By Paul Boutin
Posted Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 4:24 PM PT

For those of us still debating whether to shell out the 40-odd bucks for Fawlty Towers: The Complete Collection on DVD, BBC Director-General Greg Dyke may have settled the matter this weekend. At the end of his speech to an annual TV industry conference in Edinburgh, Scotland, Dyke announced that the Beeb plans to put its enormous TV and radio archives online and to allow anyone to download them --free-- for non-commercial use. "Under a simple licensing system, we will allow users to adapt BBC content for their own use," Dyke said. "We are calling this the BBC Creative Archive."

(URL <http://slate.msn.com/id/2087512/> for rest.)