Interesting People mailing list archives

How Microsoft, on the Brink of Defeat, Could Still Win the Streaming Video War

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:28:13 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:42:29 -0400
From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Subject: How Microsoft, on the Brink of Defeat,
 Could Still Win the Streaming Video War
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

(For IP) Terrific article from Robert X. Cringley on Streaming Media and Microsoft's EU/patent problems. RXC suggests that if the EU forces the unbundling of Windows Media Player, it will work to the advantage of both Apple and Real.

If streaming media can be turned into either a "platform" or a browser-like killer app, it will threaten MSFT's monopoly. RXC puts this into the content of the 2 recent litigation losses for Redmond, and explains why a little followed patent/anti-trust case -- Burst.com vs MSFT -- is potentially much larger than either Intertrust v MSFT or Eola v MSFT cases.

Fascinating read, and a potential paradigm shift -- if MSFT loses . . . (Disclosure -- I'm on the BoD of Burst.com)

Barry L. Ritholtz
Market Strategist
Maxim Group
britholtz at maximgrp dot com
(212) 895-3614
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Big Picture:  A blog of capital markets, geopolitics, with a dash of film!
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/

Stream on
How Microsoft, on the Brink of Defeat, Could Still Win the Streaming Video War
By Robert X. Cringely

There are several legal cases winding up right now that involve Microsoft. Last week, a jury in Chicago granted Eolas $520 million in damages from Microsoft for violations of its patent on certain types of web links. I covered this story a couple years ago, and you can find a link to that column under the "I Like It!" button on this page. While $520 million is a lot of money even at Bill Gates' house, the Eolas award is actually larger than that. It has been accumulating interest since 1998, and now stands at $600+ million. By the time Microsoft appeals (and presumably loses), according to Eolas CEO Mike Doyle, the deferred award will be up around $1.3 billion.

What's interesting is not that Microsoft owes all that money, but what Eolas plans to do with the cash. I would move to the islands, myself, but Doyle plans to pursue other infringers (that would be almost every other Internet software company, so stop gloating you vendors) after Microsoft is vanquished and then to develop new technology with the money. "Our basic model hasn't changed," says Doyle. "[We will] build new technologies as a result of applied research, license some of those technologies to others, commercialize some of them ourselves, and spin others off into companies that Eolas maintains a significant stake in. In terms of the technologies that we plan on commercializing ourselves, the focus there will be on the browser application platform and the tools and facilities needed to enrich it to the point where it becomes a viable 'Web-OS.'"

Uh-oh. Isn't that what Netscape was purporting to be doing (a Web OS) back in the late 1990s when Microsoft decided that company had to die? Look for Microsoft to fight to the death on this one. And if they lose in the end I can't even imagine what will happen. Doyle swears he won't license his patents to Microsoft under any terms, so maybe Eolas will become the next Microsoft.

But Eolas is not the end of Microsoft's legal troubles, just the beginning. This is where it gets VERY interesting and where the element of time comes into real play.

The European Union two weeks ago announced its intention to both fine Microsoft and order unbundling of Windows Media Player from all versions of Windows sold in Europe. Oddly, the EU didn't order the fine and other changes, just indicated that it would shortly do so. Microsoft gets one last chance to comment, but it won't do any good because Microsoft won't willingly change anything. So I predict the EU will impose a fine of up to $3 billion and make Microsoft unbundle. Microsoft will claim it is being murdered, but will grudgingly comply.

Intertrust, a Digital Rights Management company owned by Philips and Sony, is suing Microsoft for patent infringement and seems to be making the case stick. Microsoft may soon be forced to pay another huge fine, remove the infringing DRM code from nearly all of its products, or license the DRM code from Intertrust at horrendous expense.

Those are the clues -- trouble for Microsoft in Europe, trouble for Microsoft in Digital Rights Management, and legal trouble for Microsoft in general. A lot is at stake here since Bill Gates has pinned the future success of his company on digital content delivery. Without Windows Media Player, that strategy is hobbled. I know that is only for Europe, but losing Europe is a fatal blow to a strategy that assumes global dominance. And without strong Digital Rights Management, Microsoft will lose the support of copyrighted content providers -- another fatal blow. Finally, juries are turning on Redmond as the company's modus operandi becomes clear. The question in the minds of Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer has to be, "How do we retake control of this strategy gone sour without getting into even greater legal trouble?"

There is a way, but only one way. These guys are smart and they'll eventually find it.

The forced unbundling of Windows Media Player in Europe will make Microsoft compete on a level playing field with companies like Real Networks and Apple Computer. That will be the whole point of the EU order, to encourage fair competition. But Microsoft HATES fair competition and hates a level playing field even more. In his heart of hearts, Bill Gates feels he needs an uneven playing field and will do whatever he can to create one.

Another Microsoft legal battle that looms is against Burst.com, a case about which I have also written in the past ("I Like It" button, remember?). Burst says Microsoft stole its patented technology for creating instant-on streaming and improving streaming bandwidth utilization by an average of 30 percent by sending some data down the pipe before it is actually needed, thus keeping the pipe 100 percent full all the time. Something that looks remarkably like Burstware is a key component of Windows Media Player 9, which prompted the Burst lawsuit against Microsoft. Similar code (which Burst would probably say infringes its patents, too) can be found in the latest versions of RealPlayer and QuickTime. Right now, bursting is a key component of almost every mainstream media player.

The Burst v. Microsoft trial begins this fall, and it looks bad for Microsoft. If Eolas had a claim, well, Burst's claim is bigger, and the damages it will likely prove are greater. It might take another year or more, but this trial is likely to be extremely expensive for Microsoft, which could end up minus another billion or more and no longer have the right to use bursting in Windows Media Player, which would effectively kill the product.

Until a week ago, I would have said Microsoft's only hope was to settle with Burst, and in that settlement, gain a Burstware license. But now the EU has revealed its hand and just buying-off Burst and taking a license isn't enough. Microsoft -- which probably hasn't quite figured this out yet but eventually will -- now has to OWN the 37 Burst patents.

Owning the Burst patents would tilt the playing field again in Microsoft's favor. Even unbundled from Windows, Windows Media Player could continue to burst while RealPlayer and QuickTime could not. Microsoft's lawyers would see to that. Microsoft is accused of having an illegal monopoly, but a patent is by definition a LEGAL monopoly, even in Europe. Buying Burst or its patents would not only help Microsoft in Europe, it would kill Microsoft's competitors there and in the rest of the world while avoiding another embarrassing defeat in court. Even Microsoft's Digital Rights Management problems would be solved because Redmond could barter streaming licenses for DRM licenses. At the end of the day, Microsoft wins, but it all depends on a settlement in which Microsoft buys out Burst.

There is only one event that would prevent this outcome, and that's if someone else moves quicker than Microsoft to grab Burst.

Let the games begin.