Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Price of Gasoline

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:38:31 -0400

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:23:38 -0700
From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () centergate com>

Hi Dave,

For IP if you wish...

Dave Farber wrote:

A local newspaper report here in Phoenix yesterday stated that Arizona
has no local refinery and so we are at the mercy of the two pipelines
coming in to Arizona from New Mexico and California.

That made me sit up...

If all the gasoline comes in via the two pipelines, and there are no
local refineries, how can there be any qualitative difference between
the various gasoline brands (unless they use "time slices" or "flow
slices" in the pipeline). Does that mean that all gasoline in Phoenix is
the same?

Sounds like a snow job. By the way, the report gave a totally
unbelievable explanation for the fact that our prices have gone up 60c
per gallon since the break, and although gas is flowing, the prices have
not come down. I paid $2.45 a gallon this morning! What a rip.

Regards,
--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.