Interesting People mailing list archives

Comments from Hartford Courant, Today Show, Denver Post - Garrison Keillor etc on FOX v Franken

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:38:35 -0400

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:23:33 -0400
From: Deborah Alexander <dsalexan () optonline net>
Subject: Comments from Hartford Courant, Today Show,
 Denver Post - Garrison Keillor etc on FOX v Franken
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave - of possible interest, the below excerpts commenting on the FOX suit

You've probl read that when ruling, the judge said the suit was "totally without merit either factually or legally"

I decided to run a Lexis search on extent to which that short phrase has been cut (to sound slightly less insulting to FOX? - and secondarily on the coverage of the suit over the past month... (1)many news orgs remove the 'factually/legally' (BTW - this is essentially terms used to describe frivolous suit, recently added to the sanctionanble elements under federal Code of Civil Procedure, makes it clear that FOX could (should?) have been sanctioned ($$) by the judge for filing a frivolous lawsuit (which Franken did not request); (2) some news orgs sliced off BOTh the fact/legally and ALSO slice off the word "totally" - merely saying that the suit was declared 'without merit' (3) avery few sources either combine statements that FOX lost with a mention that Franken had to apologize to Ashcroft for sending a letter on Harvard letterhead that went out a few weeks after he left his position. (4) two sources - transcript of a FOX broadcast by someone (no surprise) and ALSO (!) UPI International (!!) mention the Ashcroft letter but somehow haven't mentioned that FOX lost its suit - at least, as of last night. In fact, UPI mentioned the suit being FILED on earlier dates, as well as the Ashcroft spology --Makes me wonder who is controlling UPI...
-Deborah Alexander