Interesting People mailing list archives

More on "Black box" used in SD Representative's traffic accident investigation

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:37:42 -0400

From: "Frank Bajak" <fbajak () ap org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Actually, we had this story in June. Your car may no longer be your friend.

Frank Bajak / AP Tech Editor

----

 'Black box' for cars a surprise

By Matthew Fordahl
ASSOCIATED PRESS

    No one disputes that Michelle Zimmermann lost control of her 2002 GMC
Yukon as she drove on a two-lane highway in Massachusetts one snowy
afternoon last January. Her friend died after the sport utility vehicle
slammed into a tree.
    Miss Zimmermann said she was driving within the posted 40 mph speed
limit, but like millions of other Americans the 33-year-old didn't know that
her vehicle had a "black box." Monitoring her driving, it recorded the last
few seconds before the crash.
    Bolstered by data they say indicates Miss Zimmermann was driving well
above the speed limit, prosecutors have charged the Beverly, Mass., woman
with negligent vehicular homicide. She has pleaded not guilty and faces up
to 2½ years in jail if convicted.
    An estimated 25 million automobiles in the United States now have event
data recorders, a scaled-down version of the devices that monitor cockpit
activity in airplanes. Like aviation recorders, automobile black boxes
mainly receive attention after an accident.
    The devices' primary function is to monitor various sensors and decide
whether to fire air bags. Since the 1998 model year, all new cars from all
manufacturers have been required to have air bags and so most such
recent-model cars have the devices. But secondary and more recently
installed features in many recorders store data from a few seconds before a
crash.
    Though capabilities vary widely among carmakers, most recorders store
only limited information on speed, seat-belt use, physical forces, brakes
and other factors. Voices are not recorded.
    But the devices are finding its way into courtrooms as evidence in
criminal and civil cases, leading some privacy advocates to question how the
recorders came to be installed so widely with so little public notice or
debate.