Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Security vulnerabilities in journalism

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:58:47 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Hal Stucker <Hal () halstucker com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:04:28 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Security vulnerabilities in journalism

It is difficult to understand the angry reaction to the UIUC project among
journalists, given the fact that Deep Throat's identity is no less safe now
than it has been for the last thirty years.  Regardless of how compelling a
circumstantial case Mr. Gaines's class may have put together, there is
always the distinct possibility they are wrong. The only people on the
planet who know who Deep Throat really is -- Woodward, Bernstein, Ben
Bradlee, and Deep Throat himself -- aren't talking and until one of these
four does come forward with the definitive answer, all speculation will be
just that, speculation.

John Dean put out an ebook about a year ago on his own search for Deep
Throat and made an interesting statement in an interview with Salon shortly
after publication that could show how far off the mark the UIUC groups'
conclusion might be.  The UIUC group fingered deputy White House counsel
Fred Fielding, though Dean said in the interview (referring to an unedited
manuscript of All the President's Men he had used in his research):

³I had developed a profile of Deep Throat, based on Woodward's and
Bernstein's clues in "All the President's Men," and their unedited
manuscript. Remarkably, all the clues pointed at one of my former
colleagues, whom I had earlier considered only a remote possibility. But
there he was, right in the middle of my Throat-searching radar. I spent
months trying to figure out how I could be wrong. Then I tested the material
on a couple of attorney friends who are very familiar with Watergate. They
found the case overwhelming that I was right. I then tested the material on
a few news organizations. They, too, felt I was correct. To make a story I
tell in the book very short, I turned out to be wrong²

The "former colleague" could very possibly be Fielding.  Also, some years
back, an article in the Atlantic Monthly put forward a very convincing case
that one or more higher-ups at the FBI could have been responsible for the
Deep Throat leaks.  Nixon had nominated L. Patrick Gray as head of the
Bureau the day after Hoover died.  This was seen as a naked grab for control
of the FBI, as Gray was considered Nixon's man and someone who would almost
certainly take his orders directly from the White House.   This article puts
forward two FBI agents -- Charles Bates and Robert Kunkel -- as the prime
suspects.  They had a powerful motive (something most "Deep Throat"
candidates lack) and access to the evidence Nixon was trying to deep six.
And Watergate did bring down Gray -- he resigned on April 27, 1973 after it
was revealed he had destroyed records given him by John Dean.

And so the guessing will continue until Woodward, et al., decide to let us
know for sure.  Far from being irresponsible, I think Prof. Gaines's
teaching methods are quite novel.

Best,
H.S.