Interesting People mailing list archives

Michigan's Super-DMCA Law and Steganography Dissertation

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:53:17 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: JELyon <jelyon () mac com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:31:25 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Michigan's Super-DMCA Law and Steganography Dissertation

 From "Good Morning Silicon Valley" newsletter, and perhaps of interest
to IP:

If steganography dissertations are outlawed then only
will have steganography dissertations:

  University of Michigan
  graduate student Niels Provos has been forced to move his
  dissertation on steganography offshore in order to avoid
  prosecution under Michigan's "Super-DMCA" law, which,
  among other things, makes it a felony to knowingly
  "assemble, develop, manufacture, possess, deliver,
  offer to deliver, or advertise" any device or software
  that conceals origin or destination of telecommunications
  service, or provide written instructions on creating such
  a device. "[Super-DMCA] makes basically everything that
  I do illegal," Provos told Security Focus. "Concealing the
  existence of communication is my dissertation, and
  concealing the source of communication takes place in
  honey nets. So I decided to be proactive about it and
  move it to another location, and for now just deny anybody
  from the states to download any of my software."

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/cat_superdmca.html
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/states/20030414_eff_sdmca_pr.php
http://niels.xtdnet.nl/honeyd/

------ End of Forwarded Message