Interesting People mailing list archives

good question DMCA used to shut down campus ID security talk

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:27:51 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "DL Neil, Mail list account" <IP () dande homechoice co uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:23:07 +0100
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] DMCA used to shut down campus ID security talk

Dave, Declan, Jamie,
Don't want to get into the DMCA right or wrong debate (again), but security
cuts both ways...

Rod for their own backs?

If Blackboard issue a cease-and-desist order under DMCA, that means that
they must know of the factual content of the talk, cf a rumor of its
content. Thus they know of flaws in their product.

If I am a student/campus operator of their system and through such a crack
suffer some loss, surely I could then sue Blackboard for leaving me
vulnerable through their neglect/failure to address a known problem?

What would be my/Blackboard's position(s)?
=dn

------ End of Forwarded Message