Interesting People mailing list archives

WQED Pittsburgh

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:55:56 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: David Foremsky <dforemsky () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: dave () farber net
Subject: WQED Pittsburgh

Dr. Farber -

First off, thank you so much for your mailing list.
It's one of my first news stops in the morning.

I was glad to see your message about WQED. I wish you
luck in trying to change it. Another WQED item that I
have been baffled about for years is why WQED is
allowed to keep their license for WQEX, channel 16 in
Pittsburgh. WQEX used to be an outlet for the less
"mainstream" PBS shows in Pittsburgh, but many years
ago WQED claimed they didn't have the money to keep
broadcasting different programming on WQEX and since
then has been simulcasting WQED on WQEX.

This has been going on for almost 10 years. WQED tried
to engineer a license swap with a local religious
broadcaster in order to get a license that WQED could
sell to raise money, but thankfully enough pressure
was applied to get the religious broadcaster to back
off.

The link below gives a pretty good description of what
they were trying to do:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~smonti/wqex/media/post-gazette19991231fcc5.htm

Why can't the FCC just yank WQEX's license and give it
to a group that would actually make use of the
frequency? Simulcasting of WQED is obviously not in
the public's interest, and as far as I am concerned
WQED should NEVER profit from the WQEX license.

Thanks again for the IP list, and best of luck with
WQED. Hopefully something can be done about the flood
of infomercials and 50's doowop shows.

David Foremsky
Coraopolis, PA
(CMU class of 1993, Civil Engineering/Engineering and
Public Policy)

http://tax.yahoo.com

------ End of Forwarded Message