Interesting People mailing list archives

Acrobat innovations, Al-jazeera by SMS, megapixel photo phones

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 07:19:56 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: kim brooks wei <kimi () kimbwei com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:46:51 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Acrobat innovations, Al-jazeera by SMS, megapixel photo phones

Some radical changes are coming to the world of digitial news and
document delivery. 3 items which especially attracted my attention
are:
Adobe releasing new Acrobat suite which is compatible with minimal-RAM
devices
Al-Jazeera headlines now delivered via SMS
Camera phones with resolution of print quality

Acrobat Reader gets a name change as new Acrobat features extend
platform and interactivity options for pdf docs
Official press release
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200304/040703Acrobat
Family.html
      In the next version of the popular Adobe pdf creation program
(v6.0) the viewer will be known as Adobe Reader (instead of Acrobat
Reader. Not only the face of reader will be new. The new suite of
Acrobat products will allow web browsers to render pdf documents in
HTML format when the page being viewed is XML compatible.
      PDF docs will also be able to display within its native content
any sections of web pages which are XML compatible.
      Currently, XML in tandem with CSS style sheets and PHP database
query strings make for smaller web-page coding (translates to
faster-loading) which is more agile and most importantly - easily
scalable in size.
      Think: PDAs will soon readily be formatted for PDA, Web TV and
even game console viewing.

Al-Jazeera offers updates on the Iraq war via SMS
http://mobile.aljazeera.net/

DoCoMo launching megapixel photo-phones
http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2003/03/07/144916.html
      This year, DoCoMo will bring to market "megapixel" photo phones
this year with picture quality good enough to make prints" (and
transmit them as well. Of course, we USans won't have the option of
sending photos this size by phone, as our wireless phone networks
aren't fast enough (too many standards, not enough collaboration on
network development).
--
Kim Brooks Wei
www.kimbwei.com