Interesting People mailing list archives

Congressman Weldon's Visit to Upenn

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:00:51 -0500

Penn Engineering cordially invites you to the

Technology, Business and Government Lecture Series

"Homeland Security and the Role of Government" by Congressman Curt Weldon,
U.S. House of Representatives, 7th Congressional District

Wednesday
December 4, 2002
4:30 p.m.
Heilmeier Hall, 1st Floor Towne Building
220 S. 33rd Street
Philadelphia, PA   19107

Reception to follow
---------------

---------
Bio:

Congressman Weldon was elected to represent the Seventh Congressional
District of Pennsylvania for an eighth term in 2000.  A Member of the House
of Representatives since 1987, Weldon has taken leadership roles on a wide
variety of issues, ranging from national security to the environment.

A senior member of the House Armed Services Committee, Weldon served six
years as the Chairman of the Military Research and Development
Subcommittee, overseeing the development and testing of key military
systems, weapons programs, and technologies that fulfill military
needs.  Weldon has used that position to become the leading House supporter
of a national missile defense to protect American's families and
communities.  Overseeing approximately $100 billion of defense spending,
Weldon now serves as the Chairman of the Armed Services Procurement
Subcommittee.

As a member of the Science Committee, Weldon is one of the most outspoken
advocates for the environment and protection of our oceans.  Weldon's
"Oceans Agenda" legislation passed the Congress in 1995, increasing funding
for oceanographic research projects.

Prior to the terrorist attacks on America, Congressman Weldon was a
champion of bolstering defenses, assisting first responders, and improving
intelligence-gathering capabilities.  He is a frequent keynote speaker at
various defense and national security conferences across the country, is a
regular guest on national news and television programs, is the author of
letters and opinion papers for various news sources, and teaches advanced
courses at local colleges and universities.

Before becoming a Member of Congress, Weldon worked as an educator at local
schools in Delaware County and volunteered as a firefighter in Marcus
Hook.  As mayor of the Marcus Hook Borough, he was nominated twice on both
Republican and Democratic ballots.  Utilizing his teaching and public
safety skills, Weldon moved on to serve as the Director of Training and
Manpower Development for a large corporation.

Congressman Weldon was born in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania in 1947, the
youngest of nine children.  He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from
West Chester University in 1969.  He resides in Thornbury Township,
Pennsylvania with his wife and five children.
Thanks
Sandy