Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: : Want to Burn a CD? Get a Law - Humor

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:05:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Keeshen <keeshen () pacbell net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:07:21
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: RE: : Want to Burn a CD? Get a Law  -  Humor

I loved the quote by Cary Sherman, senior executive vice president RIAA, and
general counsel:

""It means that if I buy a hardcover book, I'm allowed to get it in
paperback without paying anything
more so that I can have one at the beach house?" he asked."

Mr. Sherman's unfortunate analogy reminds me of the brouhaha between Amazon
and the Author's Guild.  The Guild's position seems to be: "If I rent out my
beach house, and someone reads one of the paperbacks I keep on the shelves,
I should send a check to the publisher."

Actually, Mr. Sherman should have been around in Elizabethan times!

Shakespeare had it all wrong.  Instead of pissing off the lawyers with the
oft-misunderstood "kill all the lawyers" line in Henry VI, the Bard should
have *hired* a legal team to secure his rightful 500 year international
copyright, along with merchandising rights and the Guild's brilliant
pay-per-view royalty plan! Surely, Shakespeare, Inc. could have raked it in!
;)

Bill