Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The wonders of Microsoft HTML mail (IP Submission)

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 09:44:25 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davey <paul () pdc co uk>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 14:41:56
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Fwd: The wonders of Microsoft HTML mail (IP Submission)

For IP if you want it:

 From an unofficial internal mailing list within a certain independent web
browser manufacturer ...

Microsoft's products are really good at producing HTML
mails... Recently, someone sent an unsubscribe request for a mailing
list I am on to the wrong address, which made it show up on the list
itself. This message was supposedly empty, but it looked a bit large,
so I checked. It was an empty message, in both text/plain and
text/html format.

The HTML document is created by Microsoft Word 10 and contains 2.5
kilobyte of Microsoft HTML/XML/whatever tags, weird CSS and <font>
tags.

And the actual contents?

Well, inside the document body, one finds the actual contents:

         &nbsp;

Whee. 2.5 kilobyte to send a space...

It was also suggested that it probably only put the space in because it was
worried
about empty documents making IE or some similar program crash. I presume
word 10 is aka word XP, but as my email is also set to send HTML and plain
text
I wonder just how much extra overhead is being creating this way.

kind regards
         Paul

--
         Paul Davey