Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: May 1 and the birth of the concept of the Netizen

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 10:28:20 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: <ronda () panix com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: dave.farber.net () panix com
Subject: May 1 and the birth of the concept of the Netizen

Dave

I just wanted to do a brief post to your list in honor of Michael's
contribution to discovering the concept of Netizens and spreading it
and to the many people around the world who have helped
to keep the concept alive and spread it further and wider.

In the Preface to Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet
and the Internet" Michael describes the development of the concept.

On today May 1, Michael's birthday it seems fitting to point to
that description and to honor Michael and all the netizens who
help to fight the battles to make the Internet what JCR Licklider
first envisioned -- a communications medium to make communications
possible among people around the world.

I have recently found an article from 1974 which articulated the vision,
though it didn't use the word.

I will post that online as soon as I have a chance.

But perhaps today people can think of the concept of Netizens and of
Michael and do what they can to honor all those who have contributed
to making the Internet a communications medium for the common people.

That was Michael's hope and vision. May that hope and vision live.

We still hope to have a proper memorial to celebrate Michael's work
and vision and welcome help from others.

Long live the Netizens and netizenship

Ronda

P.S. The book is online at http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook

------ End of Forwarded Message