Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Paul Amer and truth

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 18:10:25 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Nycum, Susan H" <Susan.H.Nycum () BAKERNET com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:01:46 -0600
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: A MUST READ  two on  Ballmer (of MS) on software engineering

Dear Dave:

I read with much interest your "must read" input from Bob McClure. A couple
of points in it reminded me of the following:

Many years ago when I was Director, Campus Computing Facility at Stanford,
Paul Armer,then my boss, came into my office to tell me of an article he had
just read in, I believe, Science Magazine.  It identified and described
scientific truth and advocacy truth and the difference between the two.
Simply put scientific truth was defined  as the concept that there is only
one answer and advocacy truth is truth where there is more than one right
answer.  We discussed the topic a bit and opined that computer scientists
typically thought in terms of the former and lawyers the later. In any case
from then on when we had discussions on difficult issues we would look at
each other at some point and check "Is this scientific truth or advocacy
truth"?  It made for a lot of fun, but it also saved us from
misunderstandings.

In this era of much interdisciplinary team work, I find it useful to bear
that homely little experience in mind and recall that equally smart, ethical
and well meaning people may come from different orientations and cultures.

Best regards,
Susan Nycum