Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Airport Screeners at Work -- why do I see a BIG nightmare coming in the Fed program

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:17:35 -0500

http://www.rollcall.com/pages/columns/hoh/01/hoh1018.html

October 18, 2001

Heard on the Hill
by Ed Henry

Airport Security. Rep. Mike Ross (D-Ark.) has been privately regaling
colleagues with a story about the amazing experience he recently had at the
Little Rock airport.
As Ross tried to board a flight back to D.C., an airline employee said she
would first need to see his ticket and some form of I.D.

Eager to comply with all security regulations, the freshman lawmaker proudly
pulled his official Member I.D. out of his pocket to show off to the
employee.

"We don't take that," the airline worker replied.

Thinking quickly on his feet, Ross then dug into his pocket for his Sam's
Club card, revealing his membership in Sam Walton's discount wholesale
chain.

The employee smiled and said, "Have a nice flight!"

The moral of the story for lawmakers seems to be that membership still has
its privileges. Having an affiliation with Wal-Mart, however, is a little
more important for Members from Arkansas.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/