Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a comment ^2 on Home Depot Stops Selling To The USGovernment EOF

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:30:56 -0400

EOF

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ray Everett-Church" <ray () everett org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:30:15 -0700
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: a comment on  Home Depot Stops Selling To The USGovernment

Unless they move out of the US, Home Depot is still going to be bound by
federal (and state) equal employment opportunity requirements. I'm no expert
on government procurement law, but if the office manager at the local Social
Security Administration office runs down to Home Depot to buy a box of
lightbulbs from petty cash, it takes a pretty hallucinatory interpretation
of that transaction to bind the retailer to the myriad of "onerous"
regulations that attach to your typical government purchasing contracts.
Unless there's something more going on here than meets the eye, this has all
the hallmarks of someone in the legal department drawing an erroneous
conclusion and rushing to pull the fire alarm.

-Ray