Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Even when cell systems are compatible, they're not compatible

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:07:41 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:46:49 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Even when cell systems are compatible, they're not compatible

Interesting cellular travel anecdote.   Because I travel to Canada a lot,
and roaming charges are very high, I arranged to purchase a prepaid
cellular account as a 2nd NAM for my Verizon Audiovox CDM-9000 phone.

This is a tri-band CDMA phone, so I went to Bell Mobility, which is
the B system Cell carrier in Canada, and uses CMDA and tri-band phones.
Prepaid cellular is good for a temporary NAM you only use on trips since
you don't pay a monthly fee when you are in the USA.

To my great frustration however, they kept insisting my ESN was one of
an analog phone, and in the Toronto area (the phone's home area) the phone
only operates in analog mode.  That means it loses a lot of features, but
most of all it means only about 8 hours of standby time, which makes it a
lot less useful.

I got the 2nd NAM because I had a nice phone with all my speed dials
programmed and it seemed the efficient thing to do.  It was only $30 more
to get a 2nd digital phone, clearly I should have done this.

To my surprise, sometimes it works digital (other places in Canada outside
Toronto) though definitely on their network, which they of course swear is
"impossible."

Here is the reasoning they say that they can't offer digital to me...
Carriers are now customizing the handsets they provide to an extent that
even though the networks are compatible, they effectively make sure the
handsets won't work, making it harder for you to switch carriers without
buying a new phone, even if you get a tri-band phone to give you that
flexibility.

----- Forwarded message from CustomerCare <CustomerCare () Mobility com> -----

From: CustomerCare <CustomerCare () Mobility com>
Dear Mr Templeton,

Thank you for using Bell Mobility's Internet Customer Service.

We have received your correspondence and understand that you have activated
a handset not made for use with Bell Mobility on our network.

We do not advise such a course of action. We would like to take this
opportunity to detail why this may be a technological issue. Each carrier
will agree with the manufacturer to produce a telephone with a
pre-programmed preferential roaming list.  This enables the user  to be
subscribed to foreign network  and at the same moment roam on Bell
Mobility's network. Unfortunately, this does not guarantee that your
telephone will work in a uniform manner once you make Bell Mobility your
provider as we may have different agreements than other providers. As you
have noted this can force you to make use of our analog network in some
areas. Unfortunately this roaming list cannot be modified.

Please note also that since handsets with Internet access are programmed
with specific cellular service providers in mind that such devices cannot be
used to connect to our own Digital PCS network.

As you can understand activating a foreign mobile phone on our network may
cause many difficulties and is generally not recommended. We can
unfortunately not exchange your mobile phone and regret any inconveneince
this may cause you.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/