Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A visit to a Verizon Wireless store -- or do they get it at all

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 06:51:02 -0400

Yesterday I visiting the local Verizonwireless stores in Delaware. I was attempting to get their Express Network offering - in particular I wanted to get a pccard for my laptop to use their "high speed" data offering. What transpired is maybe a statement on sales training or maybe a statement on the whole corporate approach to the data market.

First I asked what service plans were available for the Express Network. I was told that only the plans that allowed a certain number of megabits per month were available. When I asked about their flat rate plan I was told no such plan existed. When I insisted it did they loudly denied that until I aimed them at their own web site.

Then I asked about the description of the $99/month all you can eat plan. It talked about caller id, three way calling etc. I asked if voice was included via the data service and got a very confused answer that boiled down to you need to also purchase a voice cellular plan in order to use the $99 plan. So I naturally asked if I could just add the Express network to my normal phone service with Verizon and was told he would try. The system accepted the add on BUT the salesman insisted that my current plan could not be used but that I would have to buy a new phone and get a new plan and a new phone number. I assume , and left the store at this point in the visit, that if I had pursued it further I would have been charged a cancellation fee for my old account, had a useless C60 phone and to top it off be changed a $30 activation fee.

I had a similar set of interactions down in DC earlier in the week.

I find it amazing that no one seems to know at the retail level what is going on; if what they tell me is true then no one at Corporate understands the data market (I hope I am wrong here but I wait to be proven wrong).

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/