Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: A WASTE OF TIME?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:40:05 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Aftergood, Steven" <saftergood () fas org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:51:27 -0400
To: secrecy_news () lists fas org
Subject: Secrecy News -- 07/17/02

BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: A WASTE OF TIME?

FBI background investigations of Presidential appointees have become a
mindless ritual as well as a waste of time and money, argued former
Reagan official Ken Adelman in a recent opinion article.  Adelman
noted that he had been subject to at least four, and as many as six,
full-field FBI investigations.

"During my interview with a polite agent, I was asked if I had 'ever'
had contact with 'any foreign nationals.'  I explained that, as a
U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, yes, I did have contact with
foreign nationals.  In fact, many of them.  Well, could I possibly
list all such contacts?  When told that would be impossible, the
agent moved along.  'Where could I locate this Mr.  Wolfowitz, whom
you listed as a reference?' he asked me."

See "Stop Sleuthing" by Ken Adelman, dated July 15, linked from this
page:

     http://www.techcentralstation.com/1051/defense.jsp

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: