Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CWA Calls for Repeal of H-1B Program (fwd)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:49:12 -0400

Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:40:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

>From e-Week --

CWA Calls for Repeal of H-1B Program
By  Lisa Vaas

Claiming that the H-1B visa program has "proven to be abusive of domestic
workers in several ways," the Computer Workers of America union
(http://www.cwa-union.org/) has passed a resolution condemning program
abuses and called for the program's immediate repeal.

The CWA has had reservations about the visa program in past years, union
officials said, but the straw that broke the camel's back was President
Bush's FY 2003 budget proposal
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2003/pdf/budget.pdf), which
proposes the elimination of a technical skills training program for
American workers that is funded by the $1,000 fees paid by employers that
file for H-1Bs. The Bush administration wants to shift some $138 million
out of the current H-1B visa-generated training account and apply it, and
all future funds, to faster processing of permanent foreign labor
certificationsa move the CWA derided in its resolution as adding "insult
to injury."

We did have reservations in prior years, but we ended up supporting the
legislation as it was developed in Congress in that an education and
training component was built into the program so companies would be
contributing to the fund that would provide training opportunities for
U.S. workers in a lot of these technical areas," said Candace Johnson, a
spokeswoman for the CWA's national office, in Washington.

"We supported that element of the program as it went forward. But we've
seen too many problems with it now."

The CWA represents more than 700,000 workers, the bulk of them in the
telecommunications industry. The resolution was passed at the union's 64th
convention earlier this month, in Las Vegas. The problems with the H-1B
visa program as perceived by the CWA include this list as outlined in a
draft of the resolution:

The increase in the number of visas now is higher than any defendable
level of shortages of skilled workers;

H-1B visa holders are often paid less than other workers doing similar
jobs;

High-tech companies have pushed legislation to raise H-1B limits while
they fought legal attempts to support basic labor law in regard to the use
of permatemps;

This industry activity has occurred even while more than 200,000 high-tech
workers lost their jobs in 2001 and more in 2002 in the United States; and

This industry activity appears to be an attempt to lower local wages, make
bigger profits for corporations at the expense of local communities, to
break existing unions by using H-1B visa holders during strikes, and to
prevent high-tech unions from forming in the first place.
One thing the CWA is staying away from, however, is laying the blame for
H-1B abuses on the immigrants who are brought in under its aegis. To that
end, the CWA's resolution also calls for "[recommitting] its support to
winning justice for immigrant workers."

"I've worked at Microsoft [Corp.] and I've seen lots of people from
different countries come to work in IT," said Roberta Wilson, a officer
for WashTech (Washington Alliance of Technology Workers), a Seattle-based
organization of high-tech workers and the local affiliate of the CWA. "We
did not want to foment talk about scab labor or any kind of xenophobic
reaction to all the workers coming in, but we did want to point out that
companies have been getting tax break subsidies all in the name of job
creation from local municipalities. All companies say, 'We pay millions in
taxes,' but they cut different deals to avoid their full share."

   "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
    Pierre Abelard
                          John F. McMullen
   johnmac () acm org ICQ: 4368412 Fax: (603) 288-8440 johnmac () cyberspace org
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer

johnmacsgroup-unsubscribe () yahoogroups com