Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Note from TCPA for your newsletter

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:43:08 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Meinschein, Bob" <bob.meinschein () intel com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:58:34 -0700
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Dave,

following up on your previous offer for the TCPA to publish a short note in
your newsletter.  On behalf of the TCPA, I request that you publish the
brief note below.

There are two FAQs (I'd like to have them merged) that address the current
topics of interest around TCPA.  If you can find the time, we'd appreciate
your review and comments on these.  Do they address the important issues
well?  Are there others that should be addressed?

BobM

With the increased awareness of TCPA, the TCPA organization is taking this
opportunity to provide more information about the organization, its goals
and the technologies it promotes.  The TCPA is an organization of over 170
companies joined together to achieve its mission:

*    Through the collaboration of HW, SW, communications, and technology
vendors, drive and implement TCPA specifications for an enhanced HW and OS
based trusted computing platform that implements trust into client, server,
networking, and communication platforms.

In the face of increasing threats to users' data and privacy, one of the
TCPA's biggest design challenges was how to increase the trust in PC systems
and retain the thing that made the PC great, its openness.  To accomplish
this, the TCPA developed a specification for a Trusted Platform Module
(TPM).  The TPM is a is a distinct device, passive (doesn't control the CPU)
and platform agnostic.  It is open to use by different operating Systems as
well as in a variety of platforms based on different vendors CPUs.

Additionally, the TPM was designed from "day one" with specific user control
and privacy features, not as an afterthought.

TCPA believes it has taken a good first step toward its mission and welcomes
the public review.  More information about TCPA, including Q&A's addressing
recent topics of interest, can be found at www.trustedcomputing.org.

TCPA Steering Committee

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/