Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Trade-offs vs wishful thinking (compression and UWB)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:33:34 -0500

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:08:24 -0800
To: dave () farber net
From: Lars Poulsen <lpoulsen () ucwireless com>
Subject: Trade-offs vs wishful thinking (compression and UWB)

Lay people and the press generally fail to understand that marvellous
technical advances are not miracles: They are born out of trade-offs.
In the case of data compression, the tradeoffs involve
- file size (compression ratio)
- processing time (CPU power)
- size of storage buffer (dictionary)
- latency

Data compression is not magic: It is an analysis of data to remove
redundancy, and is valid within a defined application space where
the redundancy is understood. Indeed, if you start with data such as
- bitmaps of pictures (TIFF or BMP)
- english text (or any other language)
- computer programs
- HTML pages
... it is very easy to remove enough redundancy to reduce the file size
by a factor anywhere between 4 and 10. In the case of pictures, it has
been standard for the last 10 years to always store and move these
files in compressed form. The rest of the above tend to be small files,
compared to the aggregate of what we are moving around today.

The large data streams that fill up our data pipes these days are
already compressed: GIFs, MP3s, video streams. Any further gains
must come from recognizing repetitions of the same files. Analyzing
network usage, one can derive models that indicate that compression
factors in the 10-100 range are possible with Gigabyte sized
storage buffers; the true bottleneck is memory bandwidth between
the comparators and the storage buffer. However, the operational
behavior of such a compression engine would be very similar to
that of a simple web cache (like squid) which is much simpler to
build.

Two severe limitations on a black box compression appliance,
(which can serve an arbitrary bit stream, not just HTTP file access)
are that  it works only for a point-to-point link and it requires an
error-free link. If data may have been lost, the dictionaries must be
reset, and the compression factor goes back to 1:1 and then climbs
slowly back until the dictionary has been rebuilt. For a T3 link
(43 Mbps) and a Gigabyte dictionary, it would take several minutes
to recover from such an event.

I apply similar skepticism to all the great projections of unlimited
bandwidth in unlicensed wireless. This is also a game of trade-offs:
- power and sensitivity
- distance
- jam-resistance
- speed
When you push on one of these dimensions, it comes out somewhere
else. We hope for co-existence between outdoor (fixed) broadband
internet access, indoor 802.11, HomeRF etc. In principle, this can
be achieved with spread spectrum of either the FH or DS variety,
but only by sacrificing some amount to link speed for forward error
correction at one level or another of encoding. The parameters can
be tweaked in any direction, but everyone always wants to hear that
you can get the good numbers in all dimensions simultaneously.
Sorry, that just won't happen.

We have come a long way in 10 years of DSP development, and
there may be room for more stretch, but I am still waiting to see
plausible confirmation of the practical implementation of UWB pulse
modulation. As far as I can see, the pure pulse modulation shifts
the receiver bottleneck to the problem of maintaining time synchro-
nization to an unprecedented degree. IIRC, the Time Domain web
site talks about synchronizing to picosecond accuracy.
(But then again, I'm not a DSP or RF engineer, so I don't really
understand either type of modulation.)

I do believe, is that there will be progress when we focus
concentrated effort on a new approach (such as shifting from
multi-threshold level detection to time synchronization); I'm less
sure that it will come in exactly the predicted way.
/ Lars Poulsen                  E-mail:    <lpoulsen () UCwireless com>
  Senior Software Engineer      Telephone: +1-805-964-5848 ext 279
  UC Wireless, 323 David Love Place, Santa Barbara, CA 93117, USA

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/