Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Getting to know OS X and liking it more by Dan Gilmor SJMN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:12:44 -0500

Changing computer operating systems can be like moving into a new home. You explore. You find annoyances, but enjoy the improvements. Ultimately, you feel comfortable -- or you don't. On the eve of the annual Macworld conference and expo in San Francisco, the largest event of its kind, I find myself at a midpoint of sorts with Apple's Mac OS X. I'm using it, even if I'm not feeling as committed as I'd like.

Yet I'm increasingly convinced that OS X, still very much a work in progress, has a great future. Apple probably needs to make some drastic moves to ensure its long-range success, but it's important to recognize the genuine progress we've seen.

OS X was launched in early 2001, in a form so raw and with such lousy performance that even some hard-core Mac enthusiasts couldn't stomach it. A mid-year update brought speed improvements and other key fixes, though no one can call it truly speedy except on the fastest Mac hardware.

The key change was and remains the underlying architecture. Finally, finally, Apple was selling an operating system that brought the Macintosh into the modern era of relative stability. So when I recently purchased a PowerBook G4, also known as Apple's ``Titanium'' line of notebook machines, I decided to make OS X my primary operating system.

Regular readers know my longstanding fondness for the Macintosh, despite Apple's manifest failings over the years. I've always felt that the Mac got out of my way when I wanted to do something, while Windows tended to get in the way. In the past several years, however, largely due to imperatives at work and Windows' increasing robustness, I've used the Mac mostly for music applications at home, and not much else.

But the definition of general-purpose computer has evolved. I no longer worry as much that software developers support the Mac second, if ever, with new products -- because more and more of what I do on a PC has moved onto the World Wide Web and into e-mail. This means I need fewer applications on the computer itself, and once again the Mac becomes at least an adequate platform for almost everything I need to do.

Even with my limited needs, there's still not enough ``native'' OS X software -- programs designed to run on the up-to-date operating system. So I find myself using older Mac programs in the so-called ``Classic mode'' that runs OS 9 alongside OS X and lets me switch between the systems almost seamlessly. When one of the Classic applications crashes, which still happens, the entire system doesn't crash with it.

The overall look of OS X's ``Aqua'' screen design is gorgeous, no doubt. But I agree with complaints that the new user interface -- the operating system's look, feel and surface operations -- has serious flaws along with its pleasures. I, for one, would love to make parts of OS X work the way OS 9 does. I like the old Finder much more than the new one. I like the old Apple menu. I dislike the new Dock. Too bad, says Apple; eat your spinach.

The Popeye part of OS X is actually under the hood. It's remarkable to realize that the Macintosh is becoming the largest installation of Unix, a truly industrial-strength operating system, on the planet. BSD, a Unix variant, is at the heart of OS X.

Some commentators suspect that OS X signals the death of the GNU/Linux operating system on desktop computers, not that Linux has ever had much life on everyday systems. That's a stretch. Apple's OS still contains a great deal of proprietary software, while Linux is completely open to inspection and modification. Linux is also free for the download.

I'm running Linux on one computer at home, but my Unix use, such as it is, has moved almost entirely to the Mac. That amazes me, and suggests potential that Apple's software honchos -- who, according to an Apple public-relations person, were too busy to be interviewed for this column -- surely recognize. To the extent that the Unix community sees the merits in supporting OS X, there could be an explosion of new software for the platform. Anyone writing software to run on Linux, for example, must be wondering if it's worth the trouble to rewrite it for the Mac. It may well be.

The BSD/Unix underpinnings mean that OS X isn't just an operating system for desktop and laptop machines. Every copy of OS X can be used for server functions, dishing out information to other computers, and Apple sells a server version that is designed and optimized for that purpose. If I were an Apple honcho, I'd be planning a version of Mac OS X Server that runs on Intel-compatible computers. One reason is that Mac hardware is not keeping up with PC hardware in some key ways. Another is that the immediate ancestor of OS X is the Next operating system, named after the company Jobs started and then sold to Apple, and Next ran on Intel-compatible computers.

The most audacious step would be a consumer version of Mac OS X running on Intel chips. Don't hold your breath on this one. I'll explain why in an upcoming column.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/