Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: last -- Patent Absurdity

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:03:22 -0500

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:45:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Gregory Aharonian <srctran () world std com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re:  IP: Patent Absurdity

Dave,
        If you have bandwidth or stupid patents, here are two more.
Greg AHaronian

!20020103  IBM's crappiest crapping patent; recent dumb software patent

    I will be releasing updated software patent statistics sometime this
spring (assuming I can generate any excitement to do so).  Based on
preliminary data, for the most part, the PTO has made zero progress with
software patent quality when it comes to the handling of non-patent prior
art.  Nothing surprising here, since corporate America and the patent bar
still refuse to treat this issue credibly or professionally. Two recently
issued crappy patents illustrate all of this.

                                      ====

For those of you waiting in line to give me crap for so often using the
word "crap", I say, using the doctrine of equivalents for the following
patent I wish to license, I will sue the crap out of you if you do so.
I wish I had enough imagination to make this stuff up.  And to anarchists
trying to eliminate all forms of patenting, I ask you, aren't occasional
headaches due to patents a small price to pay for incenting inventors
to add the following to the wisdom of civilization?????

    U.S. Patent 6,329,919
    System and method for providing reservations for restroom use
    IBM (filed Aug. 2000)
    Abstract

    The present invention is an apparatus, system, and method for
    providing reservations for restroom use. In one embodiment, a
    passenger on an airplane may submit a reservation request to the
    system for restroom use. The reservation system determines when
    the request can be accommodated and notifies the passenger when
    a restroom becomes available. The system improves airline safety
    by minimizing the time passengers spent standing while an airplane
    is in flight.

    What is claimed is:

    1. A method of providing reservations for restroom use, comprising:

        receiving a reservation request from a user; and

        notifying the user when the restroom is available for his or
        her use.

HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?   HUH?

    2. The method according to claim 1, further comprising assigning a
    reservation number in response to the request.

    3. The method according to claim 2, wherein said assigning the number
    assigns number based on a set of priority rules.

    4. The method according to claim 2, wherein said assigning the number
    assigns number on a first come, first served basis.

    5. The method according to claim 1, further comprising providing
    the user with an approximate waiting time.

    6. The method according to claim 1, further comprising determining
    whether the reservation is cancelled.

    7. The method according to claim 1, wherein said reservations are
    provided on an airplane.

    8. The method according to claim 1, wherein said reservations are
    provided on a passenger train or boat.

    9. The method according to claim 1, further comprising determining
    whether the user has entered the restroom within a predetermined
    time period.

    10. The method according to claim 1, wherein said restroom is stocked
    with toilet paper with the words of Rule 56 printed on them.

Okay, so I made up the claim 10.

                              ====================

Another case in point, a randomly selected patent issued in October 2001:

        U.S. Patent 6,297,439
        System and method for automatic music generation using a neural
            network architecture
        (filed in August 1999 - August 1998 priority date)
        Canon K.K.

IT CITES NO NON-PATENT PRIOR ART, which to anyone who reads the Computer
Music Journal is utterly hilarious.  No wonder Japanese companies are in
so much trouble if they have money to blow on such stupid crappy patents.

    Had anyone bothered to look, so that the patent could issue without
CITING NO NON-PATENT PRIOR ART, here is some non-patent prior art (and
there is much more, I didn't want to waste more than five minutes looking
for such stuff) that together pretty much renders the patent null and
void:

    Experimental study on arranging music by chaotic neural network
    Int. J. of Intelligent Systems, April 1997, vol.12, (no.4):323-39

    Generalization tests on an improved neural network for music composition
    Int. J. of Modelling and Simulation, 1995, vol.15, (no.4):163-8

    Neural networks for a simpler control of synthesis algorithm of musical
        tones and for their compression.
    Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Signal Processing
    Applications and Technology, 1994. p. 1240-5 vol.2.

    Interactive music composer based on neural networks.
    Fujitsu Scientific and Technical Journal, Summer 1993, (no.2):189-92.

    Machine-generated music with themes.
    Proceedings of the 1992 International Conference (ICANN-92), p. 1645-6

    The neural composer: a network for musical applications.
    Proceedings of the 1992 International Conference (ICANN-92), p. 1663-6

    A high performance music composer based on a modified Jordan network.
    Fifth Italian Workshop. Neural Nets WIRN VIETRI-92, 1992. p. 280-5.

    Principles of the design of D-neuronal networks. I. Net representation
        for computer simulation of a melody compositional process.
    International Journal of Neural Systems, 1992, vol.3, (no.1):65-73.

    Principles of the design of D-neuronal networks. II. Composing simple
        melodies.
    International Journal of Neural Systems, 1992, vol.3, (no.1):75-82.

    A neural network for music composition.
    Proc. of the Tenth IASTED International Conference, 1992. p. 211-14.

    Neural based methods for music composition.
    International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 1991. p. 918 vol.2.

    NEUROGEN, musical composition using genetic algorithms and cooperating
        neural networks.
    Second IEE Int. Conf. on Artificial Neural Networks, 1991. p. 309-13.

    A neural network that learns to play in different music styles.
    ICMC Glasgow 1990. Proceedings, 1990. p. 311-13.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.  It is crap like this that provides fuel to
the fire of the arguments of those trying to eliminate (software) patents.
Applicants seeking such patents are doing nothing more than showing
contempt for both invention and patenting.  When is the patent world going
to grow up about the handling of non-patent prior art?

Greg Aharonian
Internet Patent News Service

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/