Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: UWB Player Compromises To Move Forward

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 05:13:01 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: This comment comes from reader Steve Stroh. Both good questions! To provide some perspective on this, look back to the spread spectrum (SS) rulemaking of twenty years ago. The debate and issues were quite similar to UWB. At that time in order to get a R&O out the door, some compromises were made. We got the SS rules and now, twenty years later, we have an industry and devices that no one then could have predicted. What I'm saying is that compromises in and of themselves are not necessarily bad things. However, that being said, one does wonder what things would have been like now if the original SS proposal of the Commission had been adopted. One thing that I'm pretty sure of though is that in this case, if too much is given away to get some UWB rulemaking out the door, that you're quite correct that the action will shift to some other place in the world. Time and technology march on.... DLH]