Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: is Comcast a Monty Python clone, or what?

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:12:20 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:05:15
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Subject: is Comcast a Monty Python clone, or what?

 From http://macfixit.com

Comcast: follow-up reader reports

Today's email is still full of stories from the front line of the
Comcast switchover. (See previous one, two, and three.) Here is the
latest:

Getting a clear answer from tech support In a follow-up to our note
yesterday about users getting different information depending on who
they spoke with, Douglas Brown writes: "After the switchover I was
told that the cable modem (Motorola CyberSurfer) I was leasing from
Comcast was not able to reliably get an IP address from the new
setup. I decided to run down the street and buy a new one. When I
called Comcast back to give them the MAC address, etc., I was
informed that the modem I chose was not supported. A few minutes
after this call ended, I called back to ask another question. This
person told me that the new modem was indeed supported. He said it
was printed in black and white on the list in front of him. I made
several more of these calls and each time the answer would change...
Yes, the modem is supported, no it's not, yes it is, etc. The
problem is that when you call, you are connected to a person in some
random city in North America. Apparently, these people only know
things about their local segment of the Comcast network. If a modem
is supported in your area, but you are connected to someone where
the modem isn't supported, then you are told that you can't use your
modem. The bottom line: consider asking where the support person is
located. If he or she isn't local, ask to be transferred to the
support center nearest you."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/