Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: One of the more egregious examples of patents that should never have been issued

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:09:09 -0500

From: "Rick Adams" <ricknews () cello net>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>

For posting:

It has been pointed out to me that the patent I cited as a bad example is merely an application for a patent and as such has
probably had no one examine it yet.

It was my mistake to not catch that distinction when it was forwarded to me.

I still do believe that there are fundamental problems with the way the patent office approaches software related problems, but
there is no point in getting into a religious argument.

Sorry to trouble you.

---rick

p.s. I hold three patents and so unlike many "critics" do have some idea about how the patent system works.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/