Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Chicago Civicnet to bring fiber to every neighborhood

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:33:12 -0500

For several years, in my talks (which I sent pointers to to IP) , I have referred to this activity in Chicago as a way that many cities will take to get broadband. It makes sense like cities providing sewers, roads etc. djf

http://lw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=130648

[Some excerpts - BSA]

Chicago's CivicNet to bring fiber to every neighborhood

Fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) and fiber-to-the-curb (FTTC) deployments have
already begun popping up around the country-driven by an unexpected source:
small-town local governments. Among those municipalities that have built
their own fiber-optic                    networks to bring high-speed
Internet access to their constituents are Braintree, MA; Ashland, OR;
Coldwater, MI; Harlan, IA; LaGrange, GA; and Wadsworth, OH. Now,major cities
are taking note.

Three years ago, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley established the Mayor's
Council of Technology Ad visors, a group of 70 individuals from the public,
private, and academic sectors who were charged with attacking "the digital
divide" and bringing more jobs into the city. The result was CivicNet, a
public-private project designed to bring fiber to every neighborhood in
Chicago.

Of course, financing a fiber-optic network is easier said than done. "The
reason why broadband hasn't succeeded terribly well in neighborhoods around
the country is that the return on investment hasn't been there for companies
to really take a whack at it," asserts Doug Power, assistant commissioner
and director of Chicago's CivicNet roject.

While most of the other city-driven FTTH deployments are managed by the town
utility company and financed through bonds or loans, Chicago has come up
with a plan that will not use any taxpayer money. The Mayor's Council of
Technology Ad visors has
decided to take an outsource approach.  "We are aggregating, for the first
time, the voice and data leased-line business of all the city agencies, the
park district, the housing authority, transit authority, city colleges,
Chicago public schools, and the city itself," explains Power. "Prior to now,
most of us had been on separate networks, so we're aggregating our voice and
data leased-lineg costs, which add up to $31 million a year, and we're
positioning ourselves as an anchor tenant."

As anchor tenant, the city will guarantee the winning entity its business
for the next 10years, with an option to extend the contract to 25 years. The
city will also provide its spare fiber, space in city buildings for use as
node sites or central offices, and the "right-of-way" to existing
infrastructure, including ducts, conduits, freight tunnels, and alongside
rapid transit lines.

The city envisions a consortium of private companies tackling the project,
which, in the  beginning, will involve aggregating existing copper and
fiber.  In addition, there must be a carriers' carrier or vendor-neutral
element to the project,                    contends Power, "so other
companies will be able to lease dark fiber or wholesale unbundled services
from CivicNet at the same fair, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory rates as
any other retail user, including the in-house retail user."

"Part of the intent here is to get high-speed services at competitive
pricing into neighborhoods," he explains. "By having a vanilla,
vendor-neutral element to this that's available to any telecommunications
provider, that should keep anybody from getting too carried away on high
pricing."

majordomo () canarie ca

In the body of the e-mail:

subscribe news
end

These news items and comments are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect
those  of the CANARIE board or management.

Bill St. Arnaud
Senior Director Network Projects
CANARIE Inc
www.canarie.ca/~bstarn