Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: PPI Advocates Greater Use of IT to Fight Terrorism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:20:15 -0500

 Tech Law Journal Daily E-Mail Alert
 January 21, 2002, 9:00 AM ET, Alert No. 350.

                  PPI Advocates Greater Use of IT to Fight Terrorism
                  1/18. The Progressive Policy Institute (PPI) released two
papers that call on government to increase the use of information technology
to prevent terrorist attacks, and to facilitate coordination between local,
state, and national law enforcement authorities. The two papers are Using
Technology to Detect and Prevent Terrrorism [PDF], by Shane Ham and Robert
Atkinson, and The State and Local Role in Domestic Defense [PDF], by John
Cohen and John Hurson.
                  Ham and Atkinson argue in their paper that "The
information technology revolution that transformed our economy has also
given us the tools, infrastructure, and commercial capabilities to make
domestic defense easier, less expensive, and more effective, making all
Americans safer."
                  The Ham Atkinson paper continues that "Technology has
revolutionized the economy with dramatic productivity improvements and an
array of new communications and information processing tools. We must bring
that same revolution to domestic defense, to gain maximum security and
public confidence with minimum investment. The IT revolution has given us
many tools -- wireless data networks, encryption, powerful miniature
computer chips, the global Internet, data mining software, and many more --
that weren't available for domestic security just a few years ago. Now that
we have these tools, it is time to roll them out to make our nation safer."
                  Data Sharing. The paper recommends the use of "improved
data sharing, combining criminal records and intelligence information from a
variety of federal, state, and local agencies that can be accessed
wirelessly to identify wanted criminals and suspected terrorists when they
encounter law enforcement or attempt to enter secure facilities."
                  Digital Surveillance. The paper also calls for increased
use of "digital surveillance, extending longstanding principles of law
enforcement and surveillance to the Internet by permitting surveillance of
email and other electronic data while preserving traditional safeguards on
searches by government agents".
                  The paper continues that "The recent antiterrorism
legislation signed by President Bush extended many of those surveillance
techniques to their Internet counterparts, but unfortunately there is still
a good deal of unjustified concern about the new technologies developed for
law enforcement over the Internet."
                  Carnivore. The paper advocates the use of two recently
developed tools, DCS 1000, which is also known as Carnivore, and Magic
Lantern. It describes DCS 1000 as a "device ... installed, by court order,
at Internet service providers to search email traffic. (Contrary to popular
belief, the system does not search through the email of every customer
looking for suspicious content.) By looking only for certain specific
recipients or keywords in email sent by suspects, DCS 1000 saves time for
agents by letting them focus their efforts on the e-mails that are most
relevant, even though they would be entitled by court order to read all of
the email that DCS 1000 searches." (Parentheses in original.)
                  Magic Lantern. The paper states that "Magic Lantern and
other ``key logging´´ programs allow agents with search warrants to record
every keystroke on a targeted computer. Reading the keystrokes can give
agents passwords, which are critical when criminals are using strong
encryption for their data and communications."
                  The Ham Atkinson paper concludes that "Without tools such
as these, the old system of wiretapping is rendered all but useless --
criminals will simply use Internet chats and encrypted e-mails rather than
telephones."
                  Shane Ham and the other authors spoke at an event for the
release of the two papers. He stated that "the fight over the USA PATRIOT
Act is not over yet. We are going to be arguing about that for a long time."
Robert Atkinson stated that "I think that the civil libertarian community is
actively organizing opposition to virtually any sort of expansion or
modernization of our law enforcement and intelligence system through
technology. And, the way they are doing it is by preying upon fears, by
using overblown rhetoric, like ``smart cards will turn America into a Nazi,
show us your papers, police state´´. ... Privacy is not an absolute
standard. We trade it off every single day when we have to show our drivers
license at the airport ... we can deploy all of these technologies without
really damaging or hurting privacy."
                  The Ham Atkinson paper also recommends the use of smart ID
cards "with biometric identifiers, adding chips containing thumbprint scans
or other biometric data to driver’s licenses, as well as standardized
security features for preventing forgery and fraud". The paper also
recommends the use of smart visas and face recognition technologies.
                  Legislative Recommendations. The paper then calls upon
Congress to assist in funding the deployment of these new technologies. It
also states that "Congress should mandate that any standardization efforts
by the state motor vehicle agencies include upgrading all ID cards to smart
cards. In addition, Congress should provide matching grants to state
agencies to deploy hardware that can read smart cards, and should fund pilot
programs for states that seek to integrate multiple functions into the smart
cards, such as voter registration. The paper urges passage of S 1749, the
Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act of 2001, a smart visa
bill. It also recommends that Congress boost funding to deploy technology
hardware to border agents.
                  Atkinson also called for a Chief Information Officer for
Homeland Defense, to see that new technologies are deployed quickly and
efficiently.
                  Finally, Atkinson argued that there would be economic
benefits. For example, he stated: "Those of you who followed the digital
signatures act a few years ago in Congress -- it was passed with great
whoopla -- that now all Americans would now be able to sign documents on
line digitally. It hasn't happened. It won't happen. It won't happen until
most Americans have a way to authenticate themselves on line through some
sort of PKI system. If we were to give every American a smart card, a chip
card, biometric, on their driver's license, overnight we would jump start
this market place."
                  Cohen and Hurson argue in their paper, The State and Local
Role in Domestic Defense [PDF], that "we must redefine our concept of
national security. We can no longer afford to think of national security as
the sole province of the military, or even the federal government’s
intelligence, law enforcement, and border control agencies. Keeping America
safe from terrorists and responding when they elude our defenses is also the
urgent task of state and local law enforcement and response agencies."
                  They also argue that "our approach to domestic defense
must be national and seamless. To this end, we must improve information
sharing with our front line law enforcement officers ..."
                  The PPI is a Washington DC based think tank affiliated
with the Democratic Leadership Council, which is also known as the New
Democrats. Robert Atkinson is VP of the PPI and Director of the PPI's
Technology & New Economy Project. Shane Ham is a Senior Policy Analyst at
PPI's Technology & New Economy Project. John Cohen is the Director of the
PPI's Community Crime Fighting Project.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/