Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: From Dorothy: WHY I LOVE BIOMETRICS BY DOROTHY E. DENNING

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:17:06 -0500

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 16:22:00 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Dorothy E. Denning" <denning () cs georgetown edu>

Hi Dave,

This article was written over a year ago for the Logoff column of
Information Security Magazine.  I was limited to the number of words you
see below, and my objective was really to make one point, namely that in
terms of authentication, secrecy was not the issue so much as liveness. The
reason I wrote the article is because at the time, several people were
claiming that biometrics would fall apart if ever your biometric print was
disclosed.  I wanted to counter that argument by making the analogy with
the real world.  The context here was user authentication -- something to
replace passwords, which I really do hate.

Of course there are numerous privacy issues relating to biometrics. I did
not have enough words to address them too.  My feeble attempt to say
something at the end was probably worse than saying nothing at all, as it
comes across as insensitive.  However, please keep in mind that the article
was written long before 9-11 and, I believe, before the use of face
recognition systems in stadiums, airports, etc. Certainly if I were to
write an article on biometrics today, I would address the privacy issues.
I will address them at the CATO meeting Thursday.

Yes, I supported Clipper when it was introduced.  I also supported its
abandonment, the liberalization of export controls, and the lack of
domestic controls.

Regards,
Dorothy

For archives see: