Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: US Wireless Online

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:22:44 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

US Wireless Online

Meet yet another riff on the rapidly-expanding 802.11 ISP business plan. This one, operating in six U.S. states, in a wireless metropolitan area network (WMAN).

by Patricia Fusco
Managing Editor ISP-Planet
[January 17, 2002]
<http://isp-planet.com/fixed_wireless/business/2002/us_wireless_online.html>

US Wireless Online is a high-speed Internet access provider that utilizes emerging 802.11x technology for its wireless local area network (WLAN) deployments nationwide. From its base of operations in Atlanta, US Wireless Online owns and operates wireless metro area networks (MANs) in Kentucky, Georgia, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana.

Since the company signed up its first customer in 18-months ago, US Wireless Online has deployed 82 cell sites that distribute its metro area bandwidth to more than 610 access points (APs), which in turn deliver high-speed Internet access to approximately 34,000 broadband users.

US Wireless Online delivers high-speed Internet connectivity across unlicensed spectrum operating on the 2.4 and 5.8Ghz bands. The company places small but powerful transmit/receive antennas on building rooftops or towers and beams a widespread signal toward zoned commercial and industrial areas. If a user's establishment is "painted" by this beam, the customer need only affix a small, palm-sized antenna to an interior window or on their own rooftop to pick up US Wireless Online's signal.

US Wireless Online's Network Operations Center (NOC) is located in Louisville, Kentucky. The NOC is a carrier grade facility with triple redundant power grids, Kidde and Grinnell oxygen-depleting fire suppression systems, and industrial grade Liebert UPS for backup power. Network architecture includes 6 VA Linux, 21 Compaq and 25 IBM NetFinity servers that add up to about 1 terabyte of capacity.

We're wherever you are
The company has worked in almost every environment imaginable. From large, distribution centers to sprawling college campuses and even quiet coffee shops. But one feature is inherent to any US Wireless Online system; wireless connectivity is always compatible with its specific environment.

Todd Copenhaver, US Wireless Online vice-president of sales, said the company provider three different layers of wireless broadband services.

"First, we deliver Internet services directly to clients, but our service area is restricted to where we have branch offices," Copenhaver said. "Second, we build wireless systems for businesses and ISPs anywhere in the country. And third, we deliver roaming service networks in a campus design that is capable of handling an exponential increase in users."

Fresh from a very successful debut of a massive system in Chicago, Copenhaver said the key to the company's recent success lies more in exposing broadband-less geographic areas to high-speed wireless access. New clients include conventional wired ISPs, local government agencies, and public utility corporations.

"We'll help any ISP that doesn't want to go through a DSL franchise or build a cable network from square one," Copenhaver said. "All they have to do is present us with a viable business plan, and we're there."

ISPs that want to break into the wireless access market, without breaking the bank, pay US Wireless Online a small fee to get the ball rolling after their business plan has been accepted.

"We come in and survey the geographic area and then we build the infrastructure," Copenhaver explained. "We find a single high point for access to deliver a fixed wireless backbone to the area. "We deliver the bandwidth, allowing the client to spray the area with their broadcast," he continued. "The client providers the customer premise equipment (CPE) to the end user and handles the customers and the sales side of the mix. They even do the billing. We own and manage their infrastructure for them."

US Wireless Online also negotiates all the bandwidth costs before installing its gear, which it won't charge your ISP for, either. Copenhaver said the company tries to keep start-up costs as low as possible.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/