Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: [C-FIT_Community] Shrinkwrap CDs: You May ONLY play our CD using OUR player

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:22:36 -0500

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

My reply to a message posted to C-FIT COMMUNITY

In reference to   http://www.musichelponline.com/legal/

----------
I'll be damned if I' buy any CDs.......on principle, let alone for this copy
protection scheme.  Which I haven't purchased any in about 2 years, and no,
I'm not a file-trader.

A few comments between excerpts of the 'license'......and yes, I am in a
MOOD tonight......

> DESCRIPTION OF PLAYER AND CONTENT
>
> The compact disc you are using contains copy protection
> technology. When you use the compact disc in a conventional
> CD player, it operates like any other CD. When you use the
> compact disc in a CD ROM drive, the technology launches an
> audio player (the "Player"), and plays compressed audio
> files (the "Content").

At least they tell you what happens. Wonder how long it'll be before folks
get pissed they can't use anything but RIAA- or Microsoft-endorsed and
approved players.

> Responsibilities. You are responsible for all use of the
> Player and the Content on the CD you have purchased. You may
> only use the Player and Content pursuant to these terms and
> conditions.

I guess that means listening to the CD while exceeding the speed limit in my
vehicle is a violation?

> You may not authorize, encourage or allow the Player or any
> Content to be reproduced, modified, displayed, distributed
> or otherwise used by any other party, and you agree that you
> will take all reasonable steps to prevent any unauthorized
> reproduction and/or use of them. Nothing herein is intended
> to prevent you from transferring the CD you purchased to
> another person who will be bound by these terms and
> conditions. Except as expressly provided herein, no other
> licenses or rights (including rights to maintenance or
> updates) are granted, expressly, or by implication or
> estoppel.

Hrmm.....how are they going to enforce the "encourage" part. Do they have a
contract with the Thought Police?

> No Reverse Engineering. You may not attempt (or authorize,
> encourage or support others' attempts) to circumvent,
> reverse engineer, decrypt, break or otherwise alter or
> interfere with the Player, the operation of it, or Content.

Again.....Thought Police??

> MAINTENANCE AND UPDATES
>
> We do not provide maintenance or updates for the Player or
> Content.

So if the Content is no longer playable on the Player because the OS
upgraded, collapsed, or whatever, you're screwed. Or, if the Player is
upgraded and no longer plays the Content you purchased, you've got to buy it
all over again.

> INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
>
> author of it. The Player includes technology of EverAd Inc.,
> Midbar Tech Ltd., and QDesign Corp.; you may use it solely

If I purchase such a CD, I'm going to be subjected to advertising from
EverAd?? That's like having your cake and eating it too. But then again,
Hollywood's cartels (RIAA and MPAA) are greedy.....smallpox is a nicer thing
than those clowns.

> U.S. GOVERNMENT RIGHTS
> The Player is "commercial computer software" or "commercial
> computer software documentation."

And thus DMCA-compliant.

> INDEMNITY
>
> You agree to indemnify and hold harmless us and our agents,
> employees, representatives, licensors, affiliates, parents
> and subsidiaries from and against any and all claims,
> losses, demands, causes of action and judgments (including
> attorneys' fees and court costs) (collectively "Claims")
> arising from or concerning your use of the Player or Content
> and to reimburse them on demand for any losses, costs or
> expenses they incur as a result of any Claims.

So if our player crashes your system when playing a Brittny Spears CD, you
can't hold us [company] responsible. Further, if our copy protection scheme
- which we may not have remembered to tell you about here - happens to blow
your speakers or delete files or create security / stability problems on
your system, you can simply go to hell. How very convienient for them.

> TERM AND TERMINATION
>
> The term of this agreement shall be for so long as we and/or
> our licensors own any intellectual property rights in the
> Player or Content. You may terminate this agreement at any
> time by returning to us the CD you purchased.

Oh, REALLY? So we all go out, rip the CD in one way or other (line-out is
fine for most folks, including me) and bring it back. Funny, they make no
statement about if we terminate the agreement, whether or not we get our
money back......again, how very convienient for them.

> DISCLAIMERS
>
> You understand and agree that your use of the Player and
> Content is at your own sole risk. THE PLAYER AND CONTENT ARE
> PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY BY US OR OUR AGENTS,
<snip>
> ANY DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM YOU USING THE PLAYER OR
> CONTENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY INFECTIONS OR
> CONTAMINATIONS OF YOUR COMPUTER OR DAMAGE TO ANY SOFTWARE OR
> SYSTEMS YOU USE TO ACCESS THE SAME THAT MAY RESULT FROM THAT
> USE.

As I said earlier - use of these Crap-CDs means you're screwed.

On so many levels....

My 2 cents. I'm in a mood tonight.

rick
infowarrior.org