Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fw: I don't know why to laugh or say we told you so

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:39:39 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:42:41
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Subject: I don't know why to laugh or say we told you so

January 1, 2002

AOL Glitch Blocks Harvard Admissions

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:21 a.m. ET

BOSTON (AP) -- Dozens of e-mail messages telling Harvard University
applicants whether they had been admitted never arrived last month
after America Online interpreted the messages as junk e-mail.

``This wasn't exactly the instant response we intended,'' William
Fitzsimmons, Harvard's dean of admissions and financial aid, told
The Boston Globe.

After anthrax spores were mailed through the U.S. postal system,
Harvard began using e-mail to inform applicants quickly of whether
they had been rejected or accepted. E-mail was used to notify almost
all of the 6,000 students who applied in the school's early
admission process.

But for reasons that even AOL could not explain, the service blocked
between 75 and 100 of the e-mails in December because the servers
flagged the messages as ``spam,'' the unwanted e-mails that clog
users' mailboxes. The messages were bounced back to the university.

``Spam is our number one problem. But it's hard to say what would
have caused the system to filter e-mail from Harvard,'' AOL
spokesman Nicholas Graham said.

The problem proved to be more trouble for Harvard than it was for
the students. Most just telephoned the admissions office to find out
if they had been accepted.

Admissions officers plan to begin posting a notice on the college
Web site telling students to make sure their Internet service
doesn't block Harvard e-mail.

And, as ever, the college will continue to use the postal system to
notify applicants.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press

Sent from Dave's Blackberry.

For archives see: