Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Cringely's latest - 802.11, passive repeaters, a mountain, and a tree

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 08:13:36 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Steve Stroh.  DLH]

From: "Steve Stroh" <steve () strohpub com>
To: "Dewayne Hendricks" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Cringely's latest - 802.11, passive repeaters, a mountain, and a tree
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:06:00 -0800

Cringely's Latest.

There's no end in sight to the hacking of 802.11 gear. With the FCC's total
silence on the subject of hacked 802.11 gear, they're tacitly condoning the
practice, and at this point it simply wouldn't matter if they did formally
object. It's my guess that with this lack of enforcement (more accurately,
lack of even feeble protest) and demonstrated demand, we'll soon start
seeing inexpensive bootleg higher power 802.11 gear coming in from overseas.

Cringely's merely one of the more public examples of the trend of do it
yourself / hack as necessary wireless Internet access.

802.11 gear is being used to fill the void left in the absence of reasonable
performance reasonably priced broadband Internet access. I expect this trend
to accelerate rapidly. Boingo Wireless and hereUare Communications are but
the most public of the players in this trend, which will eventually
encompass hundreds, then thousands of such providers of Public Wireless
Access Points (PWAPs) as Cringely names.

Aside from the main part of the story - Cringely and the tree, I was
delighted to learn of Gatespeed's competitive Wireless service in the coffee
shops of San Jose! That's EXACTLY what's needed - competition!

Thanks,

Steve

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/