Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Is Europe irrelevant?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:11:24 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Liam  Hemmings" <liam () lhemmings fsbusiness co uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:59:45 -0000
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Is Europe irrelevant?

I'd doubt the veracity of some of the article, it's facts are a bit wonky at
times.

For example:

1. the UK is not the EU's biggest defense spender; it's France.

2. UK's involvement marginal? The SAS were the first into Afghanistan. The
UK supplies in-flight refuelling to the  US as USAF planes are not
compatible with USN. Also supplies photo recon. MI5 agents are on the
ground.

3.  Remember, The UK shares all military intelligence (and pretty high
quality stuff) with the US and Canada and not it's EU neighbours.

Maybe the US needs to remember that the people of Europe, particularly the
UK have been pretty much unflinching in their support. Personally, as a Brit
I feel I have much more in common with the US and its people than I do any
other nation.

Perhaps the UK should look to joining NAFTA ? But perhaps we need a little
credit from the US every now and again - and less sniping at us because
we're a small country and you saved us from the Nazis. We are an ally that
would never support anti-US terrorism and will put our lives on the line
helping the US. But I ask you how many Americans used to donate to NORAID
which supported for example the bombing of a mall near my home?