Interesting People mailing list archives

a comment on -- Spectrum Policy: Property or Commons?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:14:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Gerry Faulhaber <gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:55:43 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: <[IP]> Spectrum Policy: Property or Commons?

This is a great idea.  Moving forward on spectrum policy requires a healthy
debate among interested and knowledgeable scholars, and I applaud Larry
Lessig for taking up the challenge.

My only quibble is framing this as an either/or debate: should we have
property rights or should we have commons?  In fact, we can have both, as
Dave and I showed in our recent paper (filed with the FCC at
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_documen
t=6513282647 ).  Our proposed model for managing spectrum involves both
property rights and commons, and allows the mix of the two to adjust over
time as new technology comes to market.

If we continue to frame this as a "debate" (although I know law school
scholars love the moot court format;-), as an either/or, we are not really
helping policymakers come to grips with what may be the critical
telecommunications infrastructure for the next twenty years.  It's time to
move beyond academic disputation and reach for the synthesis we know is
there.  I hope Larry Lessig's forum allows this to happen.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104