Interesting People mailing list archives

How Los Angeles Fell

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:49:33 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Janos G." <janos451 () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:02:40 -0800
To: "jg" <janos451 () earthlink net>
Subject: How Los Angeles Fell

<[From Alistaire Cooke's "Letter from America," 11/25/02]>

<<...there was a dispatch from out west - from Los Angeles.
I quote: "A plague has descended from the sky, a rare and frightening thing.
People are dying on the highways, planes are falling out of the sky, the
hills are sliding into the city, cell phones have gone to static.

"Traffic is a coiled serpent. A pest or plague has fallen on Los Angeles -
it is called rain."

It seems that after a 10-month drought, the longest since 1877, and the
correspondent reporter goes on as pitilessly as Job - "Poisonous filth is
bleeding into the ocean - oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake pads, plastic
bags, industrial waste, lawn fertiliser, animal dung.

"People," he ends, "are nervous about the rain. Very many stayed home."

In the city of the angels no angel was heard from but the burden of the
story is the old one in Revelation: Babylon - I mean Los Angeles - is
fallen, is fallen, that great city. >>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/letter_from_america/2510595.stm

Janos Gereben/SF
janos451 () earthlink net