Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: anthrax case

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:28:18 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: finin <finin () cs umbc edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:41:13 +0200
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: anthrax case

This is an interesting article from the BBC on
the anthrax investigation highlighting the thoughts of
Don Foster, a Professor from Vasar (see
http://www.bookmagazine.com/issue14/donfoster.shtml)

Last weeks Barbara Rosenberg was reported to have said that
that the FBI investigators who had recently interviewed her seemed
to be probing her on the possibility that Hatfill was being
framed.  So, Foster's FBI vs CIA thoughts might be an explanation
for this.

(btw -- i didn't used to be a conspiracy theorist, but events of the
last eleven months have pushed me over the edge!)  tim

--

Anthrax killer 'is US defence insider'
BBC, 18 August, 2002

An FBI forensic linguistics expert believes the US anthrax attacks
were carried out by a senior scientist from within America's
biological-defence community.  Professor Don Foster - who helped
convict Unabomber Ted Kaczynski and unveiled Joe Klein as the author
of the novel Primary Colors - says the evidence points to someone with
high-ranking military and intelligence connections.
Speaking about the investigation for the first time, Prof Foster told
the BBC he had identified two suspects who had both worked for the
CIA, the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases
(USAMRIID) and other classified military operations.
However, he fears the investigation is now being hampered in its
gathering of vital documents that could lead to the killer.  Prof
Foster says investigators need examples of the suspects writing to
analyse their style and use of language - which the professor believes
is as unique as DNA and could unveil the perpetrator.  He said: "It's
very frustrating. Ordinarily with the FBI if there's some documents
needed - known writings - boom, they're on my desk the next day.
"My two suspects both appear to have CIA connections. These two
agencies, the CIA and the FBI, are sometimes seen as rivals.

"My anxiety is that the FBI agents assigned to this case are not
getting full and complete co-operation from the US military, CIA and
witnesses who might have information about this case."

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/