Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: an interchange on Afilias -- Old Internet Thinking RIP

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:56:46 -0400

 From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Old Internet Thinking RIP

Froomkin seems to have missed that the technical work for .org is going to
be performed by Afilias, a well-established registry operator.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office of the CTO, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>

Well ... we don't really know that Afilias is a well-established registry
operator, do we?  Do they meet their SLAs?  Does their code conform with
the EPP spec? How's internal performance?  Are security procedures really
in place?

There are no public studies by reputable sources that have examined the
technical performance of the Afilias registries and I certainly don't
see any public facilities available that allow me to make that assessment.

The paper trail stops.   I can't do technical due diligence and it is pretty
clear that nobody doing the .org evaluations did any due diligence.  That
may be appropriate for pitching a .com business plan or writing an OSI
standard,
but it isn't my understanding of how you run a public service on the
Internet.

--- Begin Message --- From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>

Froomkin seems to have missed that the technical work for .org is going to
be performed by Afilias, a well-established registry operator.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal