Interesting People mailing list archives

: Re: IP: : BUSH TO CALL FOR FERDERAL NETWORK OPERATIONS FACILITY

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:10:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:14:05
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: : BUSH TO CALL FOR FERDERAL NETWORK OPERATIONS FACILITY

At 04:14 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
The Bush administration has plans to create a centralized facility for
collecting and examining security-related e-mail and data traffic and will
push private network operators to expand their data-gathering initiatives,
according to an unreleased draft of the plan.

So what we're going to do here is create a single facility with presumably
the ability to snoop on the traffic of every ISP in the nation.  This
facility will be operated by an organization (the U.S. government) with an
extremely poor record on computer and network security.

Is there ANY hope of this facility avoiding becoming the single most
attractive target for criminal activity on the Internet?  Does anyone else
out there find this as frightening as I do?

Tom Goltz
Network & Data Center Security Consultant
(800) 226-6893
(603) 594-9922
(603) 594-9939 (fax)

For archives see: