Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Secret Court Says F.B.I. Aides MisledJudges in 75 Cases ( NY T)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:28:46 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Paul Lembesis" <lembesis () emerson-associates com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:45:14 -0400
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: more on  Secret Court Says F.B.I. Aides MisledJudges in 75
Cases ( NY T)

Dave, I am a lawyer who spent 11 years working for the government on
national security issues and arms control issues

I disagree with Stewart Baker's characterization of what happened as
"screwups" and "sloppy."  In 75 cases the FBI misrepresented what was
happening to a judge in a secret court (FISA).  They apparently were using
the FISA court to obtain approval of searches that would not have been
approved by an ordinary court.  (FISA does not require a showing of probable
cause of a crime before a warrant will be issued. Instead, a wiretap will be
allowed if it is shown that gathering foreign intelligence is "a significant
purpose" of the wiretap.) The procedural requirement of FISA is a pretty
basic and easy task -- just tell the judge if there is an ongoing criminal
investigation, which would mean that you can't have a search satisfying only
the FISA standards.  How could this happen 75 times through mere sloppiness?
It may have been intentional or it may have been a kind of willful
negligence, but it is alarming that anything less than the strictest
standards were followed in pleadings before a secret court.

I disagree even more strongly that the choice we have is between allowing
this or allowing terrorism.  If the simple, basic rules had been followed in
the 75 cases, then there would not have been pressure on the FBI to avoid
using the FISA court in the Moussaoui case.  The real choice is to follow
the rules and have the FISA court available for real terrorism cases, or
ignore the rules and feel pressure not to use FISA when warranted.  In other
words, follow the failure to follow the rules is what caused the reluctance
to use FISA; the cause was not the judges' criticism.

Also, we need to have a broader perspective.  Everyone is against terrorism
and is willing to allow broader search powers in actual cases of terrorism.
The concern that (a) these broader powers will be misused in cases other
than terrorism through misrepresentation, or (b) that people will be too
easily suspected of terrorism, which could result in political abuses.  Most
people, including myself, are willing to give the government a lot of leeway
here, but we want to see that they are being careful in how the
extraordinary powers are being applied.

Paul Lembesis
former counsel to the US START and NST Delegations