Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Impossible?

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:42:26 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: judson <judson () flash net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:39:34
To: dave <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Impossible?

'MS says impossible to remove IE without breaking Windows....'

All last week the handsomely paid executives asserted once more (under
oath!) that Internet Explorer, for example, CANNOT BE REMOVED from
Windows without causing disaster. This, however, is a crock.

There is in fact an Australian Web site that gives away a program for
doing just that. (They sell higher-powered versions that do more, but
this isn't the point.) Anyone visiting the 98lite.net
<http://www.98lite.net/> site can download software that neatly and
cleanly excises everything Microsoft says you can't remove. [NOTE: be
sure you use "net," not "com." For more info visit here
<http://www.98lite.net/scam.html>.] What's more, savvy Windows users
have been doing this for years, even without the helpful app from _98_lite:

    "I've set-up 2 PCs few years ago with 98Lite and they work
    perfectly. To get an idea, an old Pentium 75 is running faster with
    98Lite than a 133 CPU with W98+IE. The browser is now Opera, and
    it's totally fine. I never understood why this incredible product
    doesn't get more attention."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/